Welcome Back Students!August 27th, 2014
Welcome to the 2014 academic year! It’s hard to believe that summer is over and that we will soon experience cooler temperatures and the changing of the leaves. As always, campus is buzzing with activity as new and returning students are finding their way to classes, meeting new friends, and enjoying the college atmosphere. Although this is an exciting time, it can also be stressful. As you make your way through the first week, keep in mind the following tips:
- Get organized! Take advantage of the free planners distributed at the various Launch Pads located around campus. Incorporate all assignments, due dates, and other obligations into the planner, and follow it daily!
- Set up a daily routine. Be sure to fit in meal times, study times, and social times to make the most of your day.
- Get plenty of rest! These first weeks are exciting, but can wear you down! Make sure to get plenty of sleep so you don’t burn out early.
- Meet your professors. Take advantage of the time after class or during their office hours to introduce yourself and ask any questions you may have.
- Meet your academic advisor and Success Coach. These folks are invaluable to your academic success. Make an appointment or stop by their offices to introduce yourself and schedule an appointment to discuss your career plans.
- Finally…Have Fun! Though you are here to get an education, a well-rounded student experience includes meeting people, joining student organizations, and participating in university-wide events.
In upcoming blogs, I’ll focus on topics that tend to impact students during different points in the semester, such as homesickness, fitting in, test anxiety, and being overwhelmed.
On a separate note, I want to invite everyone to attend the President’s Tailgate Party on Saturday, August 30th, to celebrate the kick-off of the Rocket football season! The Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drug Prevention Program will also be in attendance, providing giveaways and information on how to have fun in a drug and alcohol-free environment. Come join us from 4:30-6:30 in the Rocket Hall parking lot. We hope to see you there!
Stanley Edwards is a licensed Clinical Psychologist and has been the Director of the University of Toledo Counseling Center since August 10, 2010. Dr. Edwards has an extensive background treating individuals presenting with depression, anxiety, bi-polar disorder, personality disorders, and schizophrenia, as well as various other mental health disorders. Dr. Edwards has provided treatment for children and adults in community mental health centers, private practice settings, and at the University of Toledo. Dr. Edwards firmly believes that each of us can benefit from the wise counsel of others who care.
Email this author | All posts by Stanley Edwards