Classroom to Clinic

Our first “Standardized Patient” Experience!

The DPT class of 2015 had their first patient encounter this week! The patient was a Standardized Patient hired by the Hillebrand Clinical Skills Center on UT’s Medical Campus. This person is taught a step-by-step procedure of how to simulate an illness and evaluate a patient encounter. Standardized Patients are used to teach or test health care professionals.

The mock interview gave a quick glimpse into our chosen professions! We all gathered in the Creative Education Building waiting to put our new interviewing skills to the test. The nerves rose as we waited to be called back to begin our assessment. I stood outside of the examination room with a clipboard in hand and shaking knees. The interview would be recorded and last no longer that fifteen minutes. The goal of the interview was to obtain the patients chief complaint, signs and symptoms, functional limitations, and past medical history all while establishing a trusting patient-therapist relationship. I stepped into the examination room and before I knew it the two minute warning was given. I left the examination room with mixed emotions and thoughts. I was excited to have done it and to have had an interaction with a “patient.” It was fun to be practicing something I will use every day as a PT. My mind was racing with thoughts about the questions I forgot to ask, the fluidity of the interview, and if I had made a good first impression.

We will get the opportunity to watch our interview tapes and analyze our performance next week. I am excited and nervous to see how I actually did. Interviewing is a skill that will be acquired with time and I look forward to the practice I will obtain in my next three years with the DPT program!