And so it begins…

My name is Daniel Andrews, a sophomore at the University of Toledo studying International Business and Global Studies with a concentration in Pre-Law.  I will be studying abroad in Puntarenas, Costa Rica for the Fall Semester and this is my blog…

We all seem to be waiting for something, big or small, so we can move on in life— perhaps that once in a lifetime experience that truly defines who we are. Yet, many of us will keep waiting all our lives in search of the special something or someone to lead us down the yellow brick road.

In two weeks I will be departing for Puntarenas, Costa Rica— I will study there for four months, learning a new language and meeting new people. But more importantly, searching for that “something” that will change my life forever.

Unlike many teenagers, I’ve traveled a lot in my young life. I’ve already been throughout Europe on two separate occasions and most recently I went to Haiti with a group of students from the University of Toledo. Each trip I’ve taken has taught me a new life lesson but now I hope to connect them all together during my trip to Costa Rica.

Francis Bacon said, “travel, in the younger sort, is a part of education; in the elder, a part of experience.” This upcoming trip is exactly that, an educational journey.

While in Costa Rica I’ll be completing some general education courses, taking a Latin American dance class and also a heap of Spanish lessons but that’s not the only reason I’m there—  I want to become educated far beyond the constraints of a textbook. I want to learn about the culture, the people and the pura vida lifestyle.

Over the next four months you will have the opportunity to read about my experiences, look through my pictures and learn a few Spanish words & phrases with me. Honestly, majority of you probably know more Spanish then I do right now; I don’t know anything!

So my words of advice today are simple, seek opportunities to find deeper meaning within ourselves, especially when life comes most challenging.

4 Responses to “And so it begins…”

1. Joe Zerbey Says:

Best wishes Daniel you will make us prouder still of you and our great university.
    Joe Zerbey
    UT Board of Trustees

2. Cheryl Says:

Daniel – this will be another amazing
    Journey in your life and I have no
    doubt it will help you find the answers
    You are looking for! Immerse yourself
    in the experience like only you can!
    Can’t wait to read all about it!

3. Jeri Says:

Hope it is an amazing JOURNEY!

4. Deb Krohn Says:

Hey Daniel – So nice to see your face amidst the journals! Cannot believe Costa Rica is already here…seems like you and I were just meeting to start planning; time sure flies, kiddo. No doubt in our minds that you will have yet another fabulous international experience. You know what they say; “the only joy in the world is to begin.” Begin away! Cannot wait to hear all about your adventures. Please email me with any questions, concerns, or changes to your schedule upon arrival. Until then, happy and safe travels! –Deb