Pulse of UTMC

CPS-3. Make a difference. Enroll.

It’s been a while since I wrote about my experience with breast cancer. Diagnosed and treated in 2009 – the year of my 20th high school reunion and my daughter’s second birthday.

Because my tumor was caught early and a “good” one – as far as malignant tumors go – the experience is now in my past and doesn’t occupy much of my mental energy anymore.

But what if the whole thing could have been avoided all together? What if it was caused by something I eat, do, or allow myself to be exposed to? I’d much rather have avoided the whole darned experience.

Know anybody who feels like me? Or maybe someone whose struggle was way harder? Or someone who lost the battle? Ever say to yourself, “If there was only something I could do!”

Well there is, and it doesn’t require you to open your checkbook.

The American Cancer Society is conducting a national Cancer Prevention Study – CPS3. It’s a long-term study, meaning folks participating will be asked to fill out surveys every few years for 2-3 decades, but we can all check boxes, right?

Locally the ACS is hoping to enroll about 800 people between the ages of 30 and 65 who have never been diagnosed with cancer. UT has offered to play a major role in this effort, providing enrollment venues on both the Main and Health Science campuses the week of April 15. Enrollment involves signing a consent form, getting your waist measured and providing a small blood sample.

Want to make a difference? Enroll.

On behalf of cancer survivors, their parents, their children, their siblings and their friends, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

One Response to “CPS-3. Make a difference. Enroll.”

1. Michele Martinez Says:

Thanks Esther! I’m all signed up! :)