Pulse of UTMC

It’s Spring! (So says the calendar.)

As Spring approaches, I reflect on my habits for health.  By the end of the winter, my exercise habits have become less of a habit, because I like to exercise outside, and the weather doesn’t allow it.   I seem to turn to more processed foods due to the lack of fresh local produce.  The TV provides mindless entertainment.  It’s Spring!   I look forward to walking and biking in the sunshine amidst flowers and the trees.  It feeds my spirit. I look forward to the homegrown fruits and vegetables at my favorite stand.

There are ancient concepts of healing which work today.  They are the 5 Elements of Life:

Spiritual Practice

Mental Health

Healthy Eating

Life Work

To have life, to be in health, to be at peace is what all people yearn for.  The trick is to apply these concepts in order for them to work.  We do so much in a day that takes away from ourselves.  This will cause disease in the entire person.

Spring is a good time to self assess.  Are you taking time each day to give thanks, pray or meditate?  Are you doing things that keep you in a good state of mind?  Listening to birds, your favorite music, reading a good book, taking a walk, practicing yoga or getting a massage?

Are you eating foods that will give you life?  Fresh fruits and vegetables, lean protein and maybe a little dark chocolate? Red wine is good!

Your life work should give you satisfaction too.  Just what is your life work?  It may not be the work you are paid to do.  Giving to others without expecting anything in return is very rewarding and a great way to relieve stress. 

Take responsibility. Make changes that will help you be the best you can be.  Forgive yourself for past mistakes, and take a step in the right direction.  Baby steps add up!

is Licensed in massage therapy,certified since 1979. Worked through the years in a small private practice in Toledo while raising a family and working full time. In 2007 Vicki had an epiphany that led her to enrolling in a local massage school, and obtaining her license with the Ohio State Medical Board. She is certified in oncology massage therapy, and is clinically certified in aromatherapy. In April, 2011, UT Physicians hired her as a massage therapist. She was thrilled to land this position. Vicki has always had a passion for customer service, and this is the ultimate service-to help people feel better through touch applied with intelligence, control & purpose.
Email this author | All posts by