Pulse of UTMC

A Success Story

Today marks the 2nd year anniversary of my employment as a massage therapist with UT Physicians.  I am so grateful that I can make a living doing something I am so passionate about, and love so much.  I had my first massage when I was in my early 20’s, and knew then that this was something I had to learn.  I obtained certification as a massage therapist and tried making a living at it back in 1979, but massage therapy wasn’t quite accepted by the medical population as a legitimate form of therapy. (Although it was part of medical practice for hundreds of years, prior to the Dark Ages.) I was working at a health food store at the time, as another passion of my mine is natural healing.  At some point, though, I hung up my Shakti sandals and sundresses, and got a job in the real world.  I was successful in my career in business, but always kept my hands in massage therapy, more as a hobby than anything. (Pun intended!)

Then, when I was 54, I realized that this is what I should be doing.  I returned to massage school part time, while working full time and caring for my family.  I obtained my license, and have been taking classes in different types of massage since.  Then, much to my surprise, UT Physicians advertised in the paper that they were looking for a massage therapist!  I applied, and I got the job!  This time I hung up my high heels and business suits for some comfy sneakers and scrubs.  Oh happy day!  The medical community once again recognizes massage therapy as legitimate therapy.

I am now one of 45 certified oncology massage therapists worldwide, and will soon be clinically certified in aromatherapy.  I will be spending time at the Dana Cancer Center, providing massage therapy to the patients there, as well as continuing to see clients at UT.  My dream and goals I set for myself back in 2007 are coming true.  

I am grateful to UT Physicians for giving me the opportunity to assist you in your quest for balance and good health.  If you haven’t experienced massage therapy, you should.  There are many benefits to your body, mind and spirit.  From the techniques I use, to the music, to the scents, oils and lighting, every componet is beneficial to your well-being.

Anything you conceive and believe, you can achieve!  I am proof positive of that!

is Licensed in massage therapy,certified since 1979. Worked through the years in a small private practice in Toledo while raising a family and working full time. In 2007 Vicki had an epiphany that led her to enrolling in a local massage school, and obtaining her license with the Ohio State Medical Board. She is certified in oncology massage therapy, and is clinically certified in aromatherapy. In April, 2011, UT Physicians hired her as a massage therapist. She was thrilled to land this position. Vicki has always had a passion for customer service, and this is the ultimate service-to help people feel better through touch applied with intelligence, control & purpose.
Email this author | All posts by

One Response to “A Success Story”

1. Maria Stachowiak Says:

Congratulations Vicki! Your story inspires me and it’s obvious to anyone who is your patient, that you do love what you are doing. I agree with you – everyone should try massage therapy!