UTMC Farmers Market this WednesdayAugust 19th, 2014
Now is the right time to visit your local farmers market for fresh delicious, produce. Come join us every other Wednesday from now until October, from 11 AM – 1 PM, outside Mulford Library building! Eat healthier while supporting UTMC’s commitment to offering sustainable, locally sourced foods. Shoppers that purchase $10 worth of market tokens receive a free (while supplies last) Rocket Wellness canvas shopping bag! Be sure to join our produce passport challenge for your chance to win some great prizes!
Ohio ranks fifth in the nation in the number of farmers markets, and Toledo has several markets that run throughout the summer including our very own run by the Toledo Famers’ Market Association on the HSC every other Wednesday. Agriculture is Ohio’s number one industry, contributing more than $93 billion to the states economy!
Here are just a few of the benefits of shopping at a farmers market:
- Fresh, local, heart-healthy vegetables and fruits are readily available. Choose from fresh greens, broccoli, squash and kale, just to name a few.
- Making friends with your area farmers gives you opportunities to learn about how your food is grown. Farmers can also teach you how to pick and prepare the tastiest produce.
- By shopping at your local market, you’re helping the environment by reducing shipping and processing costs.
- Produce is often less expensive than store-bought versions, so you’ll save money.
- What you spend at your farmers market goes directly to the farmers, so it stays in the community.
Shopping at your local farmers market is a win-win for everyone: you get fresh, tasty local produce, the environment benefits and the local economy grows.
John Pantel is the wellness dietitian nutritionist and Program Manager for Nutrition and Community Engagement for UT Rocket Wellness. He graduated from The University of Michigan School of Public Health with a Master of Science in Nutritional Science, earned a B.S. in Food and Nutrition from The University of Cincinnati, and is a registered dietitian nutritionist. John specializes in nutrition for a healthy weight and affordable healthy eating. His interests include cycling, fitness, and gardening with his family.
Email this author | All posts by John Pantel