Brains in your head, feet in your shoes……..
My dear first-year students,
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself in any direction you choose.
You’re on your own.
And you know what you know.
You are the guy who’ll decide where to go.”
And now you are here at UT, a great place to be…..
You have joined an amazing community…….
You will bring something unique to this diverse learning community.
Transformation happens here.
With hard work and dedication … stay on the path… you may hit bumps sometimes…, but stick with it!
You are coming to get an education, perhaps a job, but you will get so much more here…… a community of mentors, friends, colleagues, and soul mates,
Look around you… all of us in the same place but with different lifestyles, beliefs, hometowns, interests; you will build your career and your moral code here.
The philosopher John Ruskin once said: “The highest reward for a person’s toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it.”
Today pledge to give us your best—because that is both the most you can give, and the least you can give.
How should you think about your journey here at UT?
• As an adventure, not a competition.
• As a community of commitment to world class scholarship, professional excellence, and service to the greater well-being.
• As a place where people are committed to each other in a learning environment.
• As a place where you will try new things, find new ideas, combine theory and practice, and think hard and work hard.
• And think of it as a place where you will study and grow as a member of society.
Share your knowledge and skills. This is the place that provides opportunities to realize who you are and what you want in life. I am so happy to welcome you, our new first year class. This campus will brighten because of your new faces, ideas and commitments to excellence.