The S.E.E.D. Initiative

Hello UT!

As a new employee in a new position at The University of Toledo, it is an exciting time for me. After three years of working closely with the Sustainability Office at BGSU, I knew I wanted to find my first full time position in higher education sustainability. While interning with UT’s Energy Management this summer, I began advocating for a sustainability position on campus. After a long haul, the position was created in August and I was selected as the Interim Sustainability Specialist. A general summary of my job description is as follows:

“Sustainability Specialist explores, coordinates, and advances the existing utility rebate program and utility grant projects, as well as other sustainability and energy reduction projects that decrease the impact of the University community on the environment. Reports on initiatives and progress of the University as a signatory to the American College & University Presidents’ Climate Commitment and a member of higher education organizations such as the Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education. Implements educational campaigns and activities that promote environmental stewardship among all members of the campus community. Contributes to broader campus environmental initiatives by interfacing with students, staff and faculty on a wide range of sustainable issues and coordinating discussions between constitutes as necessary. Encourages and facilitates sustainability programs initiated by students, faculty, and staff members.”

Please take this blog post as a personal introduction and a request for questions, comments, and ideas from all offices, faculty, staff, students, and community members. I am here to help you make UT a more sustainable university. Not only will this lower our costs, but it will help protect our resources for future Rockets! Please stop by my office, give me a ring, or shoot me an email; I would love meeting each and every one of you.

Tags: , , , , ,

is Brooke Mason, Sustainability Specialist for The University of Toledo, manages the Rocket Recycling program for over 100 buildings on three campuses with a staff of one non-student and six student employees. She is also responsible for the greenhouse gas inventory and the Climate Action Plan, which guide the University toward climate neutrality. Brooke is highly involved in sustainability education and outreach towards students including advising the Environmental Sustainability Living Learning Community, Society for Environmental Education, and UT’s Student Green Fund. She runs other student sustainability programs including Rockets Recycle: Green Tailgating, Friday Night Lights, RecycleMania, Campus Conservation Nationals, BlackoUT, and the Give & Go: Move Out program. Brooke has earned her bachelor’s degree in Environmental Policy & Sustainability Management from Bowling Green State University and is currently working on her Masters in Engineering at UT. She also sits on the Stewardship Committee for the Black Swamp Conservancy.
Email this author | All posts by