We’re Relaxed and Ready to Rock FinalsDecember 13th, 2012
A few more days of finals are left before our long awaited winter break. We in the Center for International Studies and Programs (CISP) wanted to thank everyone who came out to enjoy our first ever Pre-Finals Relaxation Day last Friday, December 7th!
Our event was a huge success. Dr. Stanley Edwards, Director of UT’s Counseling Center, provided several students with much needed relaxation techniques so they could perform their best on finals this week.
Some Tips for Reducing Stress that you missed include:
- Keep a positive attitude.
- Accept that there are events that you cannot control.
- Give yourself 30 minutes each day to do whatever you want to do.
- Learn to say “No”.
- Associate with winners rather than losers. Limit your time with negative people.
- Schedule time for FUN; you deserve it.
- Learn and practice relaxation techniques.
- Be assertive. Assert your feelings, opinions, or beliefs instead of becoming angry, defensive, or passive.
- Exercise regularly. Your body can fight stress better when it is fit.
- Eat healthy, well-balanced meals.
- Get enough rest and sleep. Your body needs to recover from stressful events.
- Don’t rely on alcohol or drugs to reduce stress.
- Seek out social support.
- Learn to manage your time effectively.
- Keep your funny side up by maintaining a sense of humor. Laugh more.
- Develop a new interest. Take a dance class or choose a new hobby.
If you need more help, please reach out to the University Counseling Center by phone (419) 530-2426 or web HERE.
Having problems maintaining a positive attitude? Here are some examples to help:
- Go for a walk
- Watch a funny movie or show
- Write in a journal
- Call a supportive friend
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes and drugs
- Congratulate yourself on your successes
Lastly, remember to see the good in yourself! Negative thoughts hurt your personal well-being. Eliminate words such as “always,” “never,” “should,” and “must.” These are telltale marks of self-defeating thoughts.
We also want to give a big hand to Vicki Feit for reducing the tension in our necks and shoulders. Vicki brought her own massage chair and had a long list of 25 students and staff sign-up to test out her service! It’s safe to say she was very impressed with the students’ turnout and the shown interest in her massages techniques, the packed CISP lounge and wait list attested to that!
Vicki was also generous to donate two 30 minute massage gift certificates to students who came by. We had a raffle at 1 PM and the two winners, Nicholas and Dylan, were ECSTATIC. Nicholas is shown below. If you are interested in massage Vicki has great rates. Learn more on her website HERE.
CISP also ended the academic semester with a Staff Holiday Potluck and white elephant gift exchange.
Happy Holidays from our CISP family to yours!